Effects of Tobacco Use
Explore what the research says about tobacco use and its effects on your body and the environment.
- There are negative environmental impacts of tobacco use. Read about the environmental burden of cigarette butts.
- See what the State Health Office Report says about tobacco use in California: Report on Tobacco Use and Promotion in California.
- CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report focusing on tobacco use among adults: CDC MMWR Report: Current Cigarette Smoking Among Adults.
- There’s no risk-free level of secondhand smoke. Learn what the research says about second hand smoke.
- Preventing Tobacco Use Among Youth and Young Adults
- How Tobacco Smoke Causes Disease (biology and behavioral basis for smoking attributable disease)
- The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke
- The Health Consequences of Smoking
- Carter, B. et al (2015) Smoking and Mortality – Beyond Established Causes
- Lightwood J, Glantz SA (2013) The Effect of the California Tobacco Control Program on Smoking Prevalence, Cigarette Consumption, and Healthcare Costs: 1989–2008
- Tan, CE & Glanz, SA. (2012). Association between smoke-free legislation and hospitalization for Cardiac, Cerebrovascular, and Respiratory Diseases: A Meta-Analysis. Circulation